Mixsonian Larry


The Case of Oceola’s Missing Head

Disturbance

On March 13, 1850 it was reported in The Charleston Daily Courier that Osceola’s grave had been disturbed:

The pailing seems to have been removed-the hillock levelled-and the stone, bearing the name of this noble, though hostile chief, lies broken and thrown down in a corner of an enclosure piled with cannon balls.

And then the next day:

 The Grave of Oceola-A head and foot stone, it appears, had been subsequently erected to mark the spot where the bones of his noble chief were supposed to repose. These stone, which had been procured by subscriptions made by officers of the garrison and citizens, had in process of time been so much marred by the idle and curious, who were desirous of obtaining a memento of the deceased, as to induce the commanding officer of the Fort, to direct the head-stone, which alone remained in any thing like it original state, to be removed within the ordnance yard, and a stone cutter employed to restore it, as far as practicable…  

But we are also requested, by the same authority from which the above facts are obtained, to state, that none of the bones of Osceola rest near the spot where these stones were erected, as the body was exhumed, and taken away for anatomical purposes, the night after it was committed to its mother earth.

The article didn’t say who the “authority” was and again raised the question about whether Osceola bones were still there, but if they were not, then that supports that the head to was missing. This would not be the last time that Osceola’s grave would be disturbed.  

Dr. Valentine Mott died in 1865 and his son, Alexander B. Mott, took control of the Museum and Osceola’s head.

Next