Mixsonian Larry Barbara Waive Ruby

The Junior Family Stories
 Dixie Lee Junior

  Dixie Lee Junior

Dixie Lee Junior Costen Guinn

My children:

1.    Kristi Lee Smith, born 1963, married Dr. Joe Frank Smith, mother of Jordan Frank Smith and Hugh Andrew Smith

2.    Kenneth Steven Guinn, Jr. (Stevie), born 1966

3.    Sally Gail Hartzog: born 1969, married to Michael James Hartzog and mother of Sophie Gracie Hartzog

4.    Michael Scott Guinn, born 1971

Mother said I was born at home, with the help of Dr. Lansing, on a very cold, snowy day in Grand, Rapids Michigan, on March 30, 1936. Mother named five of her six children.  (Dad named “Cork,” the baby, Fred John Junior, Jr. after himself.)   Anyway, Mother named the five of us after movie stars.  I am named “Dixie Lee” after Bing Crosby’s first wife—a woman renowned for being a drunk.   

1936 to 1943 – Here are a few things I vaguely remember: (1) picking asparagus from the school yard across the street from our two story house.  (2) going to bed before dark and when it got dark, scared of the dark and crying.  (3) Aunt Betty and Aunt Marie hitch-hiking from Wayland to Grand Rapids (about 30 miles) to see us.  They hitchhiked because they didn’t have a car and gas was rationed.  For breakfast they ate salting crackers dunked in coffee and sprinkled with sugar.   

1943 to 1964 – Around 1943, during WWII—Dad felt called to the ministry.  We moved from Michigan into a two-story house on Peachtree Street in Atlanta, Georgia, where he attended the Atlanta Bible Institute and eventually became an ordained minister.  In my heart, I have always felt this move for or family was comparable to Abraham and Sara’s move, in the Bible, where God commanded them to move away from their non-believing relatives.  

After our move, I attended (and loved) Clark Howell School.  I went there for nearly two years.  I have to very distinct memories about Clark Howell.  First I remember that my favorite meal served in in the cafeteria mashed potatoes with English peas on top.  And second, I remember that every Friday, to help with the war effort, all the students met in the auditorium for assembly, where we sang, “Any Stamps Today” and “Any Bonds Today.” 
These are the words to the song from my children and grandchildren:

 Any stamps (or bonds) today,
Stamps (or bonds) are freedom,
That’s why I’m selling, any stamps (or bonds) today.
Scrape up the most you can,
Cause here comes the freedom man,
Asking you to buy a share of freedom today.

While the music played, and adult dressed like Uncle Sam came on stage.  The children then ran up to here (it was always a woman) and purchased either a ten or twenty-five cent stamp for a book.  When you had filled the required number of books, you could buy from the school a United States Savings Bond.  

I wonder what ever became of all those books I filled?  …Selflessly, as usual, depriving myself of lunch, starving myself for my country.  I am somewhat consoled, by later learning that those bonds paid for Gary and Cork’s college educations, even though all of the girls had to get married and work, deprived of any opportunity for higher learning.  

I can vividly hear, even today, President Roosevelt, in 1945, announcing over the radio that the war was over.  Dad packed all of us into the car, and we drove to down-town Atlanta, parked by the curb at the Lowes Grand Theater, and watched as confetti blew though the air down from all the tall buildings, men and women—some who didn’t even know each other—kissing, horns blowing, cheering and singing—because the war had ended.

Before the days of roller-coasters and amusement parks—and as we weren’t allowed go to movies or dances or anything else “worldly”—we had to come up with our own fun.  The scary radio shows we loved to listen to were:  “The Phantom,” “The squeaking Door,” and “Inter-Sanctum.”  We also loved other programs like “Amos and Andy” and “Fiber McGee and Molly.”  These were all on at night.   

Also, the for of us girls shared a room with two double beds—old-fashioned beds with slats and a single mattress.  Every night, Mother made us go to bed at 7:00 p.m.  Waiting until dark, Barbara would get in a bed with Carole and I, while Sue crawled under the bed and kicked the mattress up in the air—sending us flying across the room, and Mom yelling all the time, “You kids better get to sleep.”  (Mother was the disciplinarian: Dad never spanked any of us that I can remember.)   

I remember that Mother listened to “Old Ma Perkins,” “Stella Dallas,” and “as the World Turns,” her radio soap operas, while doing her daily ironing.  Her favorite saying was, “WELL, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.”  I can also picture her washing the Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey with a bar of Ivory Soap; I do the same thing to my turkeys.

The last of my third grade and part of my fourth brought us to a brick house on Adair Avenue and a new school – Samuel Inman.  Sometime during the fourth grade Dad moved us into a mansion on East Lake Drive, down from the country club.  I also finished the fifth and sixth grades while in this home.  Barbara and Sue went to Murphy High School and rode the streetcar to school.  Sue played the saxophone in the school band.  Mom loved the electric Hawaiian guitar so that is the instrument she chose for me to play.   I hated it because I wanted to play the piano.  (I’m sorry Mom never made it to Hawaii.)  Carole took piano lessons and Gary played the trumpet.  I don’t think they played very well but Barbara played the marimba for years and was quite good she said.  Sue clams she can still play the Sax.  (Corky wasn’t born yet but when he was about ten or twelve years old, he played the organ.)  Sometimes at Church on Sunday night, Mother would draw on a large chalkboard.  She drew the “Cross of Calvary” where Christ was crucified; the lights were dimmed real low and it was a real sacred time – then Dad preached.  You can see we were a artistic and musical family.

   Carole, Gary and I went to East Lake Elementary School and Carole ran away from school every day.   Mother would spank her and take her back.  I ran away from home every Saturday afternoon when Mother was going to wash my hair.  Sue and Barbara would have to run after me and bring me back home so Mother could get soap in my eyes – that’s why I ran away.  Even now I use Hugh Andrew’s “No Tears Shampoo” when I visit him, and I dislike washing my own hair.  Dad worked all the time and also attended the Atlanta Bible Institute when we lived on Peachtree Street.  He owned a Chenille Factories in Rome and Cartersville, Georgia.  On Peachtree Street he stung a clothesline across the front lawn and hung the spreads over the line to sell.  After a few years Dad made a lot of money and built a big “Mission” in the slums of Atlanta on Pryor Street.  The Mission is a Southern Baptist Church today.  (Dad never received any recognition from the Southern Baptist or anyone else – that’s just another “Star in his Crown” in Heaven.)

   When we were rich and traveled on vacations, sometimes one of our black maids went with us – I remember LaVena.  Dad drove a big black Buick that was a car with a half of another one glued to it – somewhat resembling a hearse.  One time we went on a trip to Vogle State Park and LaVena went with us.  All except Barbara had to take turns sitting next to here (Barbara go to sit in the front seat), but when it was our turn, we would each cry because LaVena picked her nose.  LaVena also hid behind the door in Carole’s and my bedroom on the second floor and scared us when we came home from school.  I didn’t like LaVena much.

   While living on East Lake Drive, we were introduced to the movies by the renters of the basement apartment.  Mr. Smith was Highway Patrol Officer and on weekends, he brought home a projector, screen and reels of cowboy movies.  These movies inspired Carole and I to pretend we were married – she to Kelly, Hop-Along’s sidekick, me to Hop-Along Cassidy.  Gary was Roy Rogers and Mr. Smith’s son, Tommy, was Gene Autry.  We rode the big brick wall surrounding our home as a horse every chance we got and turned our outside dollhouse into a saloon.  We wouldn’t let Gary or Tommy come in and we spied on their secret hide-away in the hedge.

    The summer of my seventh grade year, we moved from Atlanta to Oklawaha, Florida, where we lived for a little over two years.  I loved Oklawaha and Barnes Beach.  We lived on Big Lake Weir.  This was the first time I ever had a friend.  I was always so shy and sheltered that this was a new experience for me.  During this time, my class chose me Queen of the seventh grade for homecoming.   Barbara was a cheerleader and sue was a runner-up Homecoming Queen.

   My girlfriends, Nancy McDonald, Helen Douglas, Irma Curl and Ricky Boyer taught me to dance the shag down at the pavilion on Barnes Beach.  Seeing we weren’t allowed to dance, I would sneak down to the pier without Mom knowing.  When my half-bother, Dick, moved from Michigan to live with us, Mother allowed me to go to the drive-in movie with he and his date.

  During this time, Sue married Jimmy, and Barbara married Morris, after graduating from Weirsdale High School.  They met Jim and Morris when Dad was the pastor at Flemington Baptist Church near Micanopy.  I was baptized in this Church at age fourteen.  (I Always loved Jesus and knew about Him, but never had a “personal relationship” with Him until November 1972.   I was always waiting for a “feeling.”  I never understood that when I cried out to Jesus to help me, to save me, and to forgive everything I have ever done that was not pleasing to Him – if I truly meant it – then He would forgive me.  I finally realized how very much He loved me and that without His intervention, my wrongdoing was going to ultimately lead me to death and eternal separation from God.  Now I believe the Bible, and I can understand it when I read it.  It says: Jesus is the Son of God, the He was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, was crucified on a cruel cross and shed His blood to take the punishment for me (m sins).  He died, was buried – but on the third day H arose from the grave – (came back to life).  He appeared to Mary, His disciples and about 500 more people.  The He ascended (went up) into Heaven and He sites at the right hand of God the Father intercedes for me – prays for me (and everyone else in the world) who believed on His Name – the Name of Jesus.  Now my name is written in the Lamb’s of Life and when I die I will spend forever and ever (eternity) with Him.  I don’t understand all of this – I just accept it by faith.  It just sounds too simple, but the simplicity of His message is why I missed it for so long – I wanted it to be hard.  I wanted to have to work for it by being good or by doing good stuff.  But, God says I can’t work my way into Heaven, it’s simply a decision I choose to make, to accept or reject Him.  He lets me choose (and everyone else) because He will never force Himself on me.  Now I know I am His child but I still do things that aren’t pleasing to Him (sin), so I ask the Father to forgive me – He does, I accept and go on living.  I know I learn by being taught and by reading, therefore, I attend Church and read the Bible.  I try to read one Psalm and one Proverb in the mornings – and pray.  At night before I go to sleep, I try to read the Bible in a translation I can understand.  Then as time allow, I start with these two books: John the Romans.  When I finish, I start at the beginning (in Genesis) and read to the end – (it takes me a long time too).  This decision to follow Jesus was absolutely the best one I have ever made in my entire life.)

We left Okawaha at the beginning of the ninth grade, moved to Ocala, then St. Petersburg, then to Clearwater.  When we lived in Clearwater, Sue and Dan, who was still a baby, came to live with us because Jimmy was in the Navy.  Sue was a terrible influence.  Entrusting Sue with the keeping of us during their travels, Mom and Dad had no knowledge of the fact that Sue was introducing us to cigarettes.  The second Mom and Dad pulled out of the drive, out came Sue’s Winton’s, which she force into each of our mouths.  Cork says he started smoking at age five, Gary at nine, Carole at twelve, and me at fourteen.

   We (Mother, Dad, Carole, Gary, Cork and I) moved back to Atlanta shortly after Clearwater and I finished out the tenth, eleventh and twelfth grades.  We lived in a 2-story white house on Gresham Road, with a complete finished basement.  This served as Dad’s office, a washroom, and a big family/TV room.  This is the longest time we ever lived in the same house that I can remember.  Carole and I loved high school and had lots of friends.  When we had a date we went to a ball game, a dance, a party of some sort, out to eat, to the Fox Theater or a drive-in theater.  When we went to the Fox we got dressed up.  We work spiked heels and a tight sweater with either an ankle-length tight peg-bottom skirt or a full skirt with three to five crinolines under the skirt.  There were ushers at the Fox who took you thought the dark theater to your seat with a small flashlight.  Before, after, and during intermission there was an organist who played beautiful music.  Some Saturdays we went downtown shopping at Rich’s Department store.  We always wore high heels, dress, gloves and sometimes a hat.  Your hat and gloves matched and your shoes and bag matches.  We like to eat in the Rich’s Tea Room – it was elegant and we thought we were sophisticated.

   Sometimes on the weekends, groups of us would go to Stone Mountain and climb to the top.  Of course this was before the restoration – back when it was a big slab of granite with weeds.  We would climb to the top of the mountain, roast hot dogs, sing songs, act silly, and if you had a date, “smooch.”.  We had lots of hayrides, possum hunts, Square dances, parties at someone’s house, and sock-hops in the gym after ball games.  We would also get someone’s pickup truck and load it down with people, and go to the drive-in theatre for a $1.00 a car.  During the drive-in intermission, an organist would play the songs you requested.  Carole and I had quite a few boyfriends, were in logs of clubs, beauty pageants, and we were both homecoming sponsors.  In my 1955 yearbook from Southwest DeKalb High School, the year I graduated, Malone Dodson and were voted the superlative, “Wittiest.”  Malone now pastors one of the largest Methodist Churches in Atlanta.

   Bill Costen taught me to drive in 1955 in Mothers 1949 Studebaker on Flat Shoals Road.  Bill was 2 years ahead of me in school and was the star basketball player, also voted “Most Popular” and “Best Looking.”  After graduation he went to Auburn University.  When I was a senior in high school he was home during winter break and came to a sock hop at the school.  He practically took me always from my date that evening – and that’s how we started dating.  Bill didn’t return to Auburn the next fall but went to Georgia State University on a basketball scholarship instead.  My best friends in high school were Kaye Keene (Johnson), Betty Wilson, Debby Dumas, Beverly Clark, Marianne Duckett, Cicky Harris and Glen Cook.

During Carole’s junior year in high school, Carole’s best friends’ father, Tom Wester, hired Dad to work for him.  He was the owner of F&E Check Protector Company.  Later he offed Dad a good job and territory in Florida and South Georgia.  Mom and Dad moved back to Florida; however, they let a couple live in our house with Carole and me, so that Carole could finish her senior year there.   Carole and I missed Gary and Cork so much; we thought we were going to die without them.   

Later Carole married Bob Williams and moved to Rhode Island.  Kaye Keen and I rented a basement apartment in Avondale Estates after Carole married, and Mom and Dad sold the house on Gresham Road.  Kaye road the city bus to work, while I drove Bill’s car.  Jerry Johnson went to high school with Bill, and they both played basketball for Georgia State.  Kaye and I followed those two all over the state of Georgia, cheering and hollering for them.  

Bill and Jerry were drafted in the Army for six months (and continued to serve in the reserves for eight years), stationed in Columbia, South Carolina.  Seeing I didn’t have a drivers’ license, Bill’s parents were hesitant about me driving his car.  Our solution?  Jerry’s uncle, who was a Highway Patrol Office up in North Georgia, just gave both Kaye and I a drivers license, which is why I drive with such skill and expertise today.   

When the guys go out of the Army, they went back to Georgia State, played basketball, and in late 1957, Kaye married Jerry and I married Bill.  Bill and I moved in with his parents in 1958.  They owned a big brick house on Glenwood Drive.  Bill had one brother, Jim who was at the University of South Carolina on a football scholarship.  Bill’s Dad, Wallace, had Hodgkin’s disease and died Christmas day 1959.  His mother, Lois, worked for the seaboard Railroad in Alabama.  Therefore, we continued to live in her house until 1961 when we purchased our first home – a brick 3 bedroom, 2 baths in Stone Mountain.  Kaye and Jerry Johnson lived behind us.

   1963 – After four miscarriages, I finally succeeded in carrying Kristi to full term, March 15, 1963.  I named here for Kriti Lee.  (I like to think Kristi is short for “Christian” in the Bible, a follower of Jesus; Lee is after me.)  She was born at Crawford W. Long Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia.  She was so tiny and beautiful, I loved her from the first moment I saw here.  She had very little hair at birth (she was 3 weeks early without finger nails and toe nails.)  She was a mischievous little thing – waiting until she thought I was asleep, she would squeeze between the bars on the baby bed and crawl to the big stairs and just sit there in the moonlight; this was before she could even walk.  Krisi loved her cousins, especially Carrie Layne. I lived with Carole and Bob during pregnancy with Kristi.  The situation between Bill and I was a difficult one while I was expecting her.  Bill and I divorced late 1963.  After Kris’ birth I rented a two-bedroom apartment next door to Carole’s best friend, Susan Wester, and Carole kept Kristi during day while I worked for DeKalb Country Chamber of Commerce.  Sometime later Carole divorced Bob and we rented a huge anti-bellum home near Piedmont Park.  We all lived together: Carole, Danah, Vandy, and Carrie, and Kristi and me.  Between our alimony, children support, and my working, we had enough money to live comfortably.

   1964 – When Kristi was about fifteen months old (in late 1964): we moved from Atlanta to Gainesville, Florida.  Mom and Dad owed a small ranch way out on Newberry Road.  They had a few cows, horses and one donkey.  It also had three houses on it and we lived in the triple-duplex.  I had great memories of Kristi and Carrie Layne, Danah, Vandy, Larry, David, Brenda and Beth, my nieces and nephews.  Sue and Jim and Dan lived in Titusville and we didn’t see them very often.  Gary worked for Dad and went to Central Florida Junior College in Ocala.  He was the Director of Recreation at the Ranch for Carole, the kids and me.  One night he borrowed my new car and wrecked it on his way home from some wild party.  He received a broken leg and I suffered because my car insurance was cancelled.  Corky was at FSU an came home only to sleep.  He needed the rest because all those Florida State girls wanted him.

   1964 – When Kristi was about fifteen months old (in late 1964): we moved from Atlanta to Gainesville, Florida.  Mom and Dad owed a small ranch way out on Newberry Road.  They had a few cows, horses and one donkey.  It also had three houses on it and we lived in the triple-duplex.  I had great memories of Kristi and Carrie Layne, Danah, Vandy, Larry, David, Brenda and Beth, my nieces and nephews.  Sue and Jim and Dan lived in Titusville and we didn’t see them very often.  Gary worked for Dad and went to Central Florida Junior College in Ocala.  He was the Director of Recreation at the Ranch for Carole, the kids and me.  One night he borrowed my new car and wrecked it on his way home from some wild party.  He received a broken leg and I suffered because my car insurance was cancelled.  Corky was at FSU an came home only to sleep.  He needed the rest because all those Florida State girls wanted him.

   In late 1964 my brother introduced me to a scoundrel who was a captain in the United States Marine Corps.  Without knowing him or his family, we married in September 1965 – one week before he shipped out for Vietnam – dumb me.  I try not to dislike him – because he gave me three beautiful children.  I really have forgiven him but it’s hard sometimes because he is still causing division between the children and I.

   1966 – Steve was born Jun 23, 1966 at Shands Hospital in Gainesville, Florida.  (I like to think he was named after “Stephen” in the Bible who was a businessman – in charge of distribution of food.  Full of grace, favor, strength and ability – the people loved him.)  Stevie had thick blond hair, was chubby and I adored him.  We called him “Levi” because he loved wearing Levi Jeans.  We didn’t cut his hair until he was about four years old – he was beautiful.  I never walked out of the door, except to go to work, without he and Kristi.  Steve was still in the service.  After Steve got out of the service he was going to Law School.  Seeing I was a battered wife, he had to change professions.  He quit college and went into the hog business with his uncle in Ft. McCoy.  It had a big sun porch across the whole front of the house, and the monthly payments were only $75.00.  After the hog business failed, he went to work for the Marion County Juvenile Detention Center in Ocala.  This job was followed by a Captain Louie’s Fish Restaurant in Ocala.  It turned out to be a terrible monetary decision, so we moved to Auburn, Alabama.  He started Auburn University and worked on an Animal Science degree, hoping to eventually go to Vet School but that didn’t work out either.  This was when things really started getting bad so the kids and I moved back to Gainesville in November 1972, and lived mother and Dad.  I was divorced by December 1972.

 1969 – Sally, my baby girl was born March 26, 1969, at Monroe Memorial Hospital in Ocala, Florida when we lived at Ft. McCoy.  I named here Sally Gail.  (I like to think Sally is for Sara in the Bible who was a protective mother and beautiful: Gail is after Steve’s sister.)  She was born on her cousin David Mixson’s birthday.  She was tiny like Kristi with quite a bit of dark hair.  She walked at 10 months (on her toes like a grand-daughter Sophie), and the first word she ever said was “Hey Bullet” – while looking at the dog.  She talked at a very early age and loved to watch “Mr. Rogers” on TV with Kristi and Stevie.  I loved her very much too, but three was a handful.  Ft. McCoy is where I learned about country life.  I could bait a fish-hook, clean the fish and fry them just right.  I mowed the acre lot with a push mower, attempted to clean the house, bought the groceries and took all the kids with me when I shopped.  (Michael’s Infant seat and diaper bag were down in the grocery car, Sally sat in the buggy seat and Stevie and Kristi held on to each side of the cart… I must have put the groceries on top of Michael.)  Seeing I worked, I learned to do all the things at the same time, wash and iron clothes, prepare a not-so-good meal, soak the dirty dishes in the sink (no dishwasher) and bathe all the kids in the tub at the same time.  They loved for me to read to them and we read books like Black Beauty and the Children’s Bible Story book.  I also led each of them to Jesus at a young age.  (I hope these remarks I have made about Steve don’t imply that I was right all the time for a perfect parent; neither was he all wrong and not a good parent at times, but he was controlling, brainwashed all of us, ruled with an iron fist and cause hurt and division.  I know now what was lacking in our hour – LOVE and Christ).

1971 – Michael Scott was born August 20, 1971 at Monroe Memorial Hospital in Ocala Florida.  (I like to think Michael was named after the archangel or war angel in the Bible…. “War broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels went to battle and fought the dragon” Rev 12).  Sally was still a baby.  It was a difficult pregnancy and I had many health problems but worked up until his birth.  He was not chubby like Stevie, but long and lean.  He had a little bit of reddish-blond har.  He was a wonderful baby and so good natured.  He slept all night and was very easy to discipline.  Gosh, I loved him.  So did Mom and Dad.  All the kids and I lived with Mother and Dad in Pine Hill Estates for a while.  Mother kept the kids while I worked – thank God.  

1972 – This was a good year for me – not only because I was divorced but also because that was the year I went to work for Santa Fe Community College.  I have many wonderful friends and memories from Santa Fe.  I retired from the College in July 1998.

  1974 to Sept 27, 1976 – This time is a story in and of itself.   

September 27, 1976: This is when Dad died.  Dad was a wonderful father.  So humorous and fun loving, and always cooking up something on the stove and making a big mess, but most of all, he loved all of us and we knew it.  He also let Mother sleep late in the morning for as long as I can remember – got all of us kids up and fixed our breakfast which consisted of hard scrambled eggs with pieces of ham or bacon in them, pancakes or French toast.  One time (when we were in high school) Carole ate 11 pieces of French toast for breakfast.  Dad taught us by example about work.  He worked hard and I thank him for that because none of his children are lazy or expect something for nothing.

1976 to Present – Some Things About My Kids High School and College Years:  Kristi attended private school at Buchholz. She was a cheerleader, in the chorus and teen-board model for Maas Brothers.  She was awarded the Beck Scholarship and went to SFCC;  Sally went to GHS where she was in the chorus, ran track, and a varsity cheerleader.  She graduated from SFCC, and FSU (cum laude).  She was awarded a full academic Scholarship for her Masters degree from Southern Tech in Marietta, Georgia with a 4.0;  Steve went to GHS where he played football and was on the weight lifting team.  He went to SFCC for one semester.  He was awarded a full football scholarship to Marion Military Academy in Marion, Alabama, and then transferred to Auburn University.  Michael went to GHS where he played football, baseball and ran track.  After graduation he with to Auburn University as a football walk-on.  He and Stevie left before finishing their education to start their own business – in Jacksonville, but later both returned to Auburn.  Now Steve is a businessman in Panama City – working in restaurants and selling real estate.  Michael is a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps.

   November 23, 1985: This was the year Kristi married Joe Frank Smith.  (I like to think Joe is short for “Joseph of Arimatheea” in the Bible.  He was a leader and honored member of the Council.  He also helped take down Jesus’ body from the cross and bury Him.)  Krisi and Joe Frank met when Kris worked for the Dean of Student Affairs at UF’s College of Medicine.  Joe Frank was in his last year of Medical School.  They married at the old Westside Baptist Church and the next day moved to St. Louis, Missouri – that was 1985.  Joe Frank completed his Internship and two years of Residency there, and then in 1985 they moved back to UF in Gainesville where he completed his Residency.  IN 1991 he chose Dothan, Alabama for his medical practice.  He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeon’s since 1996, and Otolaryngology (Head and Neck Surgery) since 1991; a diplomat of the National Board of Medical Examiners since 1996; and in 1996-1997 was Chief of Surgery.  He is an acting Clinical Professor of Otolaryngology at the University of Florida’s College Medicine, and received the “Doctor of the Year award in 1993.”  He and Kristi have a Conference Center named after them at the University of Florida, and he gives a scholarship award each year at the University of Florida’s ENT Resident graduation ceremony.  Kristi has a home business, modes and does television commercials.

April 20, 1990 – My first grandchild was born at AGH in Gainesville, Florida – a boy – and they named him Jordan Frank Smith.  Frank after his father and grandfather, and I like to think, Jordan, after the Jordan River where Jesus was baptized.  I can picture this scene as if it were today: This is when they lived on Woodmere Drive.  He had a great imagination and liked to play in his Fort.  He and I would climb up in his Fort, with big play guns and pretend we were killing bears and alligators.  Other times we like to pretend our ship had sunk and we were in a lifeboat waiting for someone to rescue us.  Sometimes we would hang onto his little boat in the swimming pool and eat “bear meat” which was really pizza.  No Jordan is eleven years old and in the sixth grade.  He plays the saxophone, like Aunt Sue; loves money, being a comedian, the TV remote, video games, the Hardy Boy’s books, fishing, hunting and spending time with his friends and boy cousins.  He also loves his dog, “Jake.”  He is currently the star defensive player for his hockey team.   

August 16, 1992 – My second grandchild – another boy – was born at S.C. Alabama Hospital in Dothan, Alabama.  We nearly lost him because he came nearly two months early.  He was named, “Hugh Andrew Smith.”  Hugh after Dr. Hugh Hill at the University of Florida, and Andrew, I like to think, after Jesus’s second disciple who brought his brother, Peter, to Jesus.  Hugh didn’t like to pretend like Jordan and me when was a baby.  He loves animals, especially his cat, Candace, his dog, Sable, and my little poodle, “Baby” who still sleeps with him when I go for a visit.  He loves books, the computer, video games, cable television, and boy cousins, playing with friends, fishing and hunting.  He excels in all sports – especially basketball, baseball and soccer.  He loves to play games, especially the game, “Clue”, which he always guesses who killed who, with what, and in what room first.  He is nine years old and in the third grade.   

December 16, 1994 was the date Sally and Michael James Hartzog’s wedding.  It was nine days before Christmas.  This was the most beautiful wedding I have seen thanks to Kristi.  Kristi introduced Michael to Sally in December 1992.  He fell for here on their first date.  They were engaged in December 1993 and married in 1994.  Cousin Tom Stallworth married them at the old Westside Baptist Church.  Nearly the entire Junior clan participated in the wedding, and most importantly, Steve and Kristi – Jordan and Hugh were both Ring Bearers.  The Wedding Reception bring back many good memories because we had so much fun with all the relatives and friends we loved.  Michael is one great son-in-law.  I like to think the James in his names is for James in the Bible, the half-brother of Jesus, not the disciple.  He was a leader, wrote the book of James and taught that “whenever trouble comes your way, be joyful” – that’s my son-in-law.  He and Joe Frank are first cousins on his stepmother’s side.  He is from Dothan, Alabama, and graduated from Dothan High School.  He went to college at Auburn University where he received his Engineering degree in 1991.  He is also a Registered Professional Engineer.  He has worked for the FAA nine hears and has been transferred numerous times.  The longest they were in one place was when he was at the FAA in Jacksonville.  The lived on Amelia Island, and Sally taught school, wrote a “Family Cookbook” and made a CD.  Now Sally is a stay at home Mom, like Kristi.  She has a business at home while Michael work in Washington, D.C at FAA Headquarters.  They are building a home in Fredericksburg and will move there this summer (2002).

   1995 – This was the year Kristi became “Mrs. Alabama”.  She went on to the Mrs. USA Padgett and was in the top eleven finalists.  She was also voted “Mrs. Congeniality.” A few weeks after we came home from the Padgett, I had a heart by-pass.   

January 28, 1999 – Mother died at the Nursing Home in Gainesville, Florida when she was nearly 87 years old.  All of her children were with her when she passed away.  Mother was one strong willed, spit-fired German woman.  She was a classy dresser, and work beautiful hats.  She cleaned her face with Ponds Cold Cream before bed and then used Oil of Olay moisture, Vicks Vapor Rub in her nose, Vaseline on her lips, and pink sponge rollers in her hair.  (I do the same thing to myself every night except add one more thing: a pair of silk panties over the rollers so they won’t fall out.)  Mother also drove fast even though she was not a good driver.  She got many speeding tickets (like Sally and Michael).  Mother was a wonderful cook plus everything she baked was delicious.  She taught each one of us to keep a clean house – “cleanliness is the next thing to godliness” she said.  Mother instilled in us a desire for reading and all of her children and some of the grandchildren are addicts.  Mother never stopped  praying for me – Thank-you Mother.   

February 4, 2001 – Sophie Gracie Hartzog, my very first grand daughter was born at Potomac Hospital in Woodbridge, Virginia, on this date.  Sophie is an old name and I like to think of the Gracie is for God’s grace in the Bible.  Weighing in at 5 lbs and 15 oz. she was a tiny thing like her Mother and Aunt Kristi.  She is fourteen months old now and has a little dark fuzz on her head showing off her beautiful face.  She walked at nine months (on her toes), has mouthful of teeth, the strength of teenager, and strong-willed like her Mother.  Besides her Mother and Dad, she loves her cousins, Jordan and Hugh, Aunt Kristi, Uncle Joe Frank, Grandma Dixie and Grandpa James; but not as much as we love her.  When she kisses, you get the full effect when she opens her mouth real wide and slobbers on your lips.  When noticed my polished toe-nails on a recent visit, she go down on the floor and bit my toe – I love it.  She dislikes anyone but Grandma to change her diapers – that’s because I sing to her.   

I finished writing my life story on April 1, 2002, at age 66.  I know I am a very blessed woman, and I thank my Heavenly Father for protecting me during all those years.  I have for wonderful children, two of the best sons-in-law, three precious grandchildren, loving sisters and brothers, good friends, a fantastic Church, a house, a car, a fur coat, a computer, a phone, a television, a mode once a month and Medicate.  I have my hair fixed every week at the Beauty Shop and a manicure once a month –– “This has to be As Good As It Gets.”


Carole Junior